$48,670 – $63,267 a year
Full Job Description
The National Museum of African American History and Culture’s primary purposes are to acquire, maintain and preserve objects which document social, cultural, political, military, technological and scientific developments in the United States related to the African American experience; to conduct research in the field of African American history, to publish findings for all audiences; and interpret historical developments through public exhibits and programs as well as digital content.
This position is located in the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC), Office of External Affairs, Office of Visitor and Guest Services (OVGS). This position reports to the Supervisory Visitor and Guest Services Manager. The Office is responsible for developing programs, policies and procedures designed to welcome and assist visitors and guests for the best possible museum experience and to manage daily visitor operations and activities in the galleries and public areas of the museum. The visitor services coordinator provides the following duties and responsibilities:
- supports plans to increase visitor and volunteer satisfaction and develop new approaches to the Visitor and Guest Services operations;
- collaborates with the Smithsonian Office of Visitor Services (OVS) in learning about new products, services and guidance for visitor services programs, volunteer management and visitor research in order to gain a better understanding of visitors’ experience across all museums, galleries and the Zoo;
- supports the tours and reservations scheduling process with newly implemented or improved software programs;
- executes and supports the day-to-day Visitor and Guest Services programs and activities, including: wayfinding; indoor and outdoor queuing and line management; safety; security; VIP tours; group visits; assistance and accessibility support services; dissemination of maps, guides and information concerning the museum, exhibitions, collections, and objects; demonstrations of interactives and immersion experiences; and engagement and interpretation of difficult and challenging content that may evoke layers of emotion for visitors and guests;
- demonstrates excellence in customer service by responding to visitor, staff and volunteer inquiries and tour requests; and
- assists in coordinating, reviewing and updating the Visitor and Guest Services volunteer training program and manual for expansion and improvement.
Occasional travel – Some travel may be required…Read more>>